CSA update #6 or How I learned to stop caring and love the hay wagon

Round Bales
We have a saying/song that we like to reference constantly on the farm. “Every day is an adventure… you didn’t want to have.” This past week certainly had plenty of that to go around. Folks driving through Tinmouth this weekend might have noticed a new addition to the side of the road just after the town center.

With the weather man telling us that we had endless days of hay weather, Meadow’s dad Marshall was mowing up a storm. By Friday Melody and I were unloading wagons while Meadows cousin was baling and Marshall was raking more hay to bale. It was going really well for a Squier haying experience. We unloaded bales until I had to milk, then I came back to unload more wagons. Nate was still baling one more wagon but we decided the light was going to be gone by the time it got back from across town, so we planned to unload it in the morning.

Saturday morning chores were well over before Melody gave us a call. It was time to unload the wagon. The bad news was that is was laying sideways on 140 with half its bales down the hill. On the way home a wheel had jumped free from the wagon. Marshall was able to stop with the wagon still upright, but when he went to jack it up the whole thing tipped the wrong way and the bales went flying out. Nate and I loaded the easy bales into the truck, while folks would slow down offering to buy some hay or just making sure we were all right. With most of the bales collected we left hoping that maybe someone would come swipe the rest so we didn’t have to haul them up the hill.

There was still plenty of hay down in the fields so the wagon stayed put until the late afternoon. Marshall and Melody were fixing the wheel when Nate called us to say he needed help. The tractor and baler couldn’t go up hill. Lucky it was an easy fix, low hydraulic oil. When the tractor tilted a certain way the oil would pool away and the baler would lose power. With the wagon righted and left in a near by yard the team went to help Nate and the day was over. There were still 3 wagons full of hay that we needed to unload before we could start baling again.

The next morning we were wondering where the call to start unloading wagons was. Meadow was inside straitening up and I was out working on the milking area. Marhsall left a message in his normal quiet tone that he needed help by the old Valentine farm again. That morning Marshall had gone over to the Scott’s to pick up 10 round bales for us. Normally we put 8 bales on the trailer and it seems pretty full. Caleb had put on 10 and was confident that Marshall would make it. And he would have to if the ghost of old Bill Valentine hadn’t grabbed a hold of them. About 30 feet from where the wagon had tipped the day before the overloaded trailer almost did the same. Luckily the straps let go and the whole trailer didn’t flip but the bales went rolling. This meant that 5 of the 7 bales that fell off bounced a bit rolled a little then stopped. The other two went flying down the hill. We had to spend a good chunk of the morning reloading the bales we could. Then it was off to more haying.

Then of course the PTO shaft on the baler broke and one of the tractors hydraulics kicked the bucket and is now waiting for a fix in our drive way. But because the weather lasted so long we managed to put up a ton if not tons of hay for the winter.

August 3rd, 2014|

About the Author:

Leave A Comment