New Water Heater

During the winter the houses hot water comes from a heating coil in the wood stove. It circulated water to a slightly raised water heater tank in the bathroom. The system worked okay. You could get hot/warm water for a shower and enough to do the dishes. But it made funny noises and certainly did not heat all the water in the tank. The big problem was that it had sprung a leak. The water would drip into a pan or on to the floor if the pan got shifted and was definitely going to be trouble for the wood around it.

There was a unused hot water tank that had a higher capacity and was in much better shape over all at Meadow’s brothers house. We decided that we were going to haul it up to the second floor and make what use to be shelves into a utility closet. The tank being higher would make the thermosiphon circulation work much more efficiently.

We plumbed it in using pieces of pipe we had around the house from old plumbing systems that had been abandoned. Once we rigged it up we turned on the water and vented the lines to get the tank to fill up and hopefully start circulating. While Marshall vented I had the fun task of bucketing water out of the old tank. We had a hose to drain the sucker but of course the threads were very wonky so it would not go on straight no matter what we tried.

14 buckets later and we had an empty tank to haul out for scrape and our first bit of hot water from the new tank. We were impressed by the fact that it actually worked and that we had hot water so fast. It looks like we will be able to take two showers now. There are a few more pictures on our flickr page.

See you folks next time,

February 7th, 2011|

About the Author:


  1. cyn February 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm - Reply

    totally impressed

  2. Meadow February 7, 2011 at 6:53 pm - Reply

    I am so happy.

  3. Robyn March 2, 2011 at 9:18 am - Reply

    impressed! ym2

Leave A Comment Cancel reply